Taze Börülce (Fresh Black Eyed Beans)

This, Taze Börülce, tonight. Simple Cypriot food perhaps at its simplest and finest (other than Karpuz and hellim). I have a local Turkish grocers quite near to where I live, and since I asked them to source some semizotu (purslane) for me last summer, they have progressively begun to bring in more Cypriot produce to the shop (which I am, of course, pretty chuffed about). 

Taze Börülce are fresh black eyed peas that are simply cut into 2-3 inch pieces, put into a pan which is filled with cold water, brought up to the boil on the stove on a medium-high heat, and simmered for 15-20 mins. 

In a separate pan, very light green coloured Cypriot courgettes are cut into 1-2cm thick rounds (sometimes halved) for a few minutes and added to the börülce when the dressing is added (I totally forgot to add them to the picture but I posted about them last Sunday with out fish supper). 

The börülce are then drained, doused in extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt and often served with fish, chips and a salad. Although, tonight, I’m simply opening up a packet of smoked mackerel, cutting up some karpuz (watermelon), hellim (halloumi) and dunking my bread into all those olive oily, lemony juices. 

We have this every year when we go to Cyprus, and my kids love getting involved with the preparation of the börülce with my mum and Aunty. I’m going to share a few pictures on my stories because the social aspect of food in Cyprus is what makes it even more beautiful than it already is.

Comments

Popular Posts